Thursday, April 7, 2011

Volleyball and memory


My fellow PCC students on our new sand volleyball court showing their dutch Calvinist pirate spirit! Already it has been well used and is bringing back the unity we felt with pickup games at all hours... Looking through my journal I found something I wrote back in my first semester at Providence, one of the first moments I felt happy and at home in California was during a midnight volleyball session within a week of the frightening first flight to California:

I am feeling so at home right now. I just finished playing a midnight game of volleyball and I actually did well :). Dave, I think it was, was playing music in the gazebo - it was really neat. I studied a lot this afternoon and feel really in control of things. I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow... 8/28/09

The end of the entry is just jotted thoughts: Sand between bare feet - guitar music - night lights - laughter/ hushing :) - perfect serve - camera shot perfect - poem - smile


How I love to revisit the past sometimes. Yep, my journal style is a little unusual but I embrace that. The smiley behind laughter/ hushing was because of the early curfew in the city of Ontario... and yes it was Dave playing music though I did not know him well at the time. My favorite part is my desire to sleep in - some things never change! Praise God for the blessing something as simple as a volleyball court can be, and for this totally unique institution!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.